Team First-Grade Page

Date Played Opposition Game Type For Against Result
Feb 11 Illawarra Cutters Trial 38 26 Win
Feb 18 Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles Trial 16 40 Loss
Mar 04 Wests Tigers Competition 42 0 Win
Mar 11 Newcastle Knights Competition 26 18 Win
Mar 18 Canterbury Competition 26 6 Win
Mar 25 Penrith Competition 10 32 Loss
Apr 02 St George Illawarra Competition 48 14 Win
Apr 08 Wentworthville Competition 30 12 Win
Apr 13 North Sydney Competition 34 6 Win
Apr 22 Newtown Competition 19 16 Win
Apr 30 New Zealand Warriors Competition 20 16 Win
May 13 Blacktown Sea Eagles Competition 40 18 Win
May 20 Canterbury Competition 30 30 Draw
May 27 Mounties Competition 22 20 Win
Jun 04 Wentworthville Competition 35 28 Win
Jun 11 Wests Tigers Competition 42 22 Win
Jun 17 St George Illawarra Competition 32 16 Win
Jun 24 Bye Bye 0 0 Bye
Jul 01 Newtown Competition 48 14 Win
Jul 08 North Sydney Competition 6 22 Loss
Jul 15 Bye Competition 0 0 Win
Jul 22 Mounties Competition 10 51 Loss
Jul 29 Penrith Competition 24 22 Win
Aug 06 Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles Competition 24 28 Loss
Aug 12 Bye Bye 0 0 Bye
Aug 19 New Zealand Warriors Competition 26 26 Draw
Aug 26 Newcastle Knights Competition 30 22 Win
Sep 02 Canterbury Major Semi 34 26 Win
Sep 17 New Zealand Warriors Final 16 12 Win
Sep 24 Penrith Grand Final 12 20 Loss

Competition, Semis and Finals Statistics
Wins Losses Draws   For Against
ISP-NSW Sponsor

  Report - Mar 11 ISP-NSW vs Newcastle Knights , Result: 26 - 18 Win

The contrast in conditions between Round 1 at Roos HQ and Round 2 at McDonald Jones Stadium could not have been greater; torrential rain, cold and a howling southerly in the first week of competition, but hot, steamy and relatively still in the second. Newcastle were blown off the field by a rampant Warriors team in the first half of their opening match, but held their own in the second period, and would likely be better prepared this time around. Wyong had been ruthless and uncompromising in their demolition of Wests Tigers, and would be difficult to contain if that performance was repeated.

The Knights arrived ready to play and eager to display their credentials in front of a home crowd which included the Club’s 17 most capped NRL players. Roos lock, Paul Carter, conceded an early penalty which resulted in the visitors having to defend a set on their own line. When possession changed, Josh Mantellato was targeted by the Newcastle defence and driven into the Roos ingoal forcing a line drop out. The home team were unable to capitalise, and Wyong responded with a strong attacking set. Jayden Nikorima darted from acting half and found Carter in support. Half Mitch Cornish passed wide to his left finding Mantellato. The tall winger skirted the sideline and passed infield to Luke Sharpe. Cornish kicked crossfield on the next play, but the locals were good enough to defend that raid.

Newcastle struggled to make inroads, and when Wyong next had possession, Nikorima again stretched the Knights. Prop Lindsay Collins drove hard into the defensive line, initiating a Knights retreat. Cornish danced through some defenders, then offloaded to his skipper, Mitch Williams, just left of the posts. Williams shifted the ball to his right, and as the defence continued to back pedal, Carter powered his way over. Mantellato converted, giving Wyong a 6-0 lead after nine minutes.

The Roos were again strong from the restart, punching hard through the middle third, and attacking both sides of the ruck. Newcastle were equally energetic, and a 40/20 by Tyler Randall had the Knights attacking from deep inside Wyong territory. However, the momentum dissipated when  prop, Mickey Paea, found the temptation too great, and was penalised for a double movement at the foot of the posts.

The Roos recomposed and methodically worked upfield. Cornish threatened the defensive line, then passed wide to backrower Brock Gray on his left. Gray released Mantellato down the sideline. The supports were lining up inside, but Mantellato’s money ball was ruled forward.

Newcastle halfback, Jake McNamara, kicked on the last from the Wyong 30m line. The ball ricocheted and popped up for Joseph Manu, who regathered then turned it inside to an unsuspecting Chris Centrone. The ball went to ground. Wyong were unable to defend the ensuing set. McNamara skipped to the outside of Manu, creating enough space and time for centre Tom Hughes to crash over. McNamara converted, locking the scores at 6-6 after 21 minutes.

Williams took advantage of some lazy markers when the Roos were next in possession, slicing between defenders close to the ruck. Williams looked to have been tackled a little high, but Referee Chris Treneman disagreed. However, Treneman awarded Wyong a penalty on the next tackle for a ruck breach. Carter quickly tapped the ball and continued play. Manu threaded his way through the defensive line, but was brought down short. Williams looked right but passed deftly to his left, linking with Sharp spearing into space close to the ruck. Sharpe carried two defenders across the line. Mantellato converted. Wyong 12-6 after 27 minutes.

Right back rower, Chris Smith, snatched at a Nikorima pass near the halfway line. The ball went to ground. Wyong failed to defend the error, and it was again the Roos right edge which succumbed, allowing winger Cory Dennis to touch down in the corner. McNamara converted, and with nine minutes of the first period remaining, the scores were locked 12-12.

Wyong again met little resistance as they worked the ball upfield. Newcastle lost possession in their own red zone. Sharpe swooped on the loose ball and crossed without challenge. Mantellato converted. Roos 18-12.

The Roos followed those points with an exemplary possession set. Cornish kicked crossfield on the last with precision. Hughes caught the ball just in the field of play, but Manu was in position to force Hughes back into his ingoal. Wyong mounted pressure from the drop out. Cornish grubbered. Knights fullback, Nick Meaney reached for the ball as he changed direction to avoid the chase team. The ball went forward from Meaney’s hands. Jacob Gagan was compelled to dive on the ball from an offside positon, and Treneman had no hesitation awarding the visitors an offside penalty. Mantellato kicked for goal. The ball rebounded from the south west upright into the field of play. Interchange forward, Brenden Santi, charged at the ball but was unable to regather. Halftime scoreline; Wyong 18 – Newcastle 12.

Just eight minutes of the second half had elapsed when the Roos scored once more. Eloni Vunakece, offloaded to Smith in traffic. Smith offloaded as well. The ball was spread left. Nikorima, sensing space to his outside, batted the ball overhead to Cornish. The halfback passed to Sharpe on his left. Sharpe accelerated to the outside of his marker, causing Gagan to rush infield to kill off the threat. Sharpe quickly identified the chance and fired a ball to Mantellato lurking in space along the touchline. All Mantellato had to do was catch the ball and fall into the ingoal. Mantellato was unable to convert his own try. Wyong 22-12.

Fitzgibbon split the Roos right edge in the 56th minute, blowing a hole created by a staggered advance. Sharpe had no chance to stop the ball carrier. McNamara made it three from as many attempts. Roos 22-18.

Cornish kicked crossfield from the Knights 30m line. Mantellato jumped above the pack and knocked the ball backwards towards his team mates. Wyong retrieved the ball and moved it back towards the posts. As the defence converged on Carter, he kicked towards the north east corner. Manu ran to the outside of the compressed defensive line, got his fingertips to the ball, juggled it then regained control to touch down. Mantellato missed the conversion. Roos 26-18.

Carter kicked a 40/20, but the Knights defence stood firm. Hughes split the Wyong line, but Sharpe was equal to the defensive task. Final scoreline: Wyong Roos 26 – Newcastle Knights 18.

The Roos always looked in control of this match, but in summary there was little difference between the teams, and the final scoreline was an accurate reflection of that difference. Newcastle made 13 handling errors whilst Wyong produced just nine. The Knights were unable to engineer sufficient space or momentum to energise their game plan, and found it difficult to defend for lengthy periods. However, when these issues are addressed, they have enough talent to win games. Wyong were insufficiently ruthless, but lifted when challenged. The Roos threaten from sideline to sideline. Concentration and intensity are their current enemies. Sharpe, Cornish and Gray did well. Props Lewis and Collins provided the midfield impetus. Hughes and McNamara were strong and enterprising for the Knights.

Wyong return to Morry Breen Field for the Round 3 match against the winless Canterbury Bulldogs. Kick off is at 3pm and will be preceded by an Under 17’s trial between Wyong and West Newcastle at 1.30pm.    



  Report - Mar 04 ISP-NSW vs Wests Tigers , Result: 42 - 0 Win

A sodden pitch, howling southerly and torrential rain greeted the teams for Round 1 at Roos HQ. The keys to winning in such conditions were retaining possession, kicking with precision, an aggressive kick chase and sustaining pressure. The home team did all four in a strong, controlled performance to comprehensively out point the disappointing visitors 42-0.

Wyong did not defeat the Tigers in three meetings in Season 2016. Perhaps the boys from Campbelltown were a little complacent, but it appeared the skill set of returning winger Josh Mantellato had been overlooked. The Roos recovered Mantellato’s towering kick off, and immediately went on the attack, punching centrefield, skipping to the opposition’s right edge, then sweeping back to the western edge of the field to release right winger Chris Centrone to sprint to the corner. Mantellato failed to convert, but the Roos had jumped to a 4-0 lead inside a minute.

Despite running into the wind and rain, the home team were dominating field position courtesy of half Mitch Cornish’s precise kicking game. Wyong grubbered behind the Tigers’ defence in the 10th minute. Backrower Chris Smith regathered the ball on the opposition 30m line, swivelled out of a tackle and then ran unchallenged to the line. Wyong 8-0.

An unforced error from the kick off, immediately put the Roos’ defence under pressure. Wests Tigers, though robust and well drilled, were not asking enough questions and were a tad slow in their execution. The home team comfortably defended the error. The match ebbed and flowed for some time. Wyong left centre, Dale Copley, found some space on the visitors’ right edge and manoeuvred himself into a scoring position, but lost possession as he attempted to ground the ball. The green and gold scored their third try just on halftime. Right centre Paul Momirovski, caught a Cornish bomb on the Tigers 20m line, offloaded to Nikorima, who beat the defence in an angled footrace to the southwest corner. Halftime score: Wyong 12–0.

The Roos camped deep inside Tigers’ real estate from the opening of the second period, and converted that field position into points in the 42nd minute when backrower, Brock Gray, latched onto a Cornish pass to carve through the space between defenders. Mantellato converted. Roos 18-0.

Copley ran an inside line from close range to score his first try in the 47th minute, then beat his marker on the outside to score his second eight minutes later. Centrone grabbed his second in the 68th minute when he intercepted a wayward Tigers’ pass and ran 40 metres to touch down behind the posts. Copley was first to a Nikorima kick which held up in the ingoal to complete his hat trick in the 71st minute. Fullback Luke Sharpe threaded through the opposition right edge in the 79th minute, and looked desperate to get on the scoresheet, but was forced by the cover to pass to his outside. Mantellato scooped up the ball from his toes and dived over in a single motion to complete the 42-0 shut out.

Wyong were well up for this challenge; methodical and controlled. Although stretched on occasions, they appeared to have the Tigers’ measure in all aspects of the game. Cornish’s kicking game was a revelation in the conditions, maintaining pressure, securing repeat sets and giving the visitors no breathing space. Fullback Sharpe is not a big man, but poses a massive threat to any defence with his speed and footwork, even in these extreme conditions. Copley was all class on the Roos left side, creating and taking opportunities, but Wyong’s best was Zane Tetevano. Slightly leaner than last year courtesy of the off season with Sydney Roosters, the Roos lock repeatedly carried the ball with vigour, rocked the opposition in defence and dominated the middle third.

Coach Taylor was most pleased with the team attitude; “In the 38th minute of the second half we defended two sets on our line.” The competition for spots is intense, and that was reflected in the attitude carried into this game.

Roos supporters are no doubt hoping this attitude will be replicated in Round 2, when Wyong faces Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium next Saturday. Kick off is at 12.40pm, and the match will be televised on FOX Sports.      

  Report - Feb 18 ISP-NSW vs Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles , Result: 16 - 40 Loss

Wyong Roos were hoping to put on a show at Central Coast Stadium as part of the Sydney Roosters stable trials against their Manly counterparts. Instead the Manly Blacktown Workers outfit displayed some committed and disciplined footy, to embarrass the underdone locals 40-16.

Errors from the green and gold, both forced and unforced, gave Manly a wealth of early possession in good field position, allowing the Sea Eagles to jump out to a 12-0 lead after 14 minutes. Assisted by a triplicate of penalties, Lindsay Collins crashed over for Wyong from short range seven minutes later, on the back of a strong run from Justin Toomey-White. Kauri Aupouri’s conversion reduced the difference to 12-6. Possession had largely equalised by the 26th minute. Roos five eighth, Paul Momirovski drifted from right to left inside the Manly 20m line, and as the defence hesitated, Momirovski capitalised to score Wyong’s second. Aupouri missed the conversion, but the Roos were back in the hunt at 12-10 down.

Jackson Hastings’ kicking game was troubling the Wyong back three comprising fullback, Luke Sharpe, and wingers Kieren Gallagher and Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck. Supported by some energetic defence, the Blacktown Workers’ boys were making it difficult for the Roos to transition out of trouble.

The green and gold received a penalty on their own 20m line in the 34th minute. Momirovski kicked for touch, but the ball slipped from his grasp in the process, and what was anticipated as a regulation punt for the sideline turned into a surprise grubber. Manly fielded the ball 10m away, quickly shifted it to the left, creating enough time and space for winger Peter Schuster to cross in the corner. Joey Lussick’s third conversion from as many attempts gave the Sea Eagles a handy 18-10 halftime lead.

Lanky backrower, Shaun Lane, was causing havoc down Wyong’s right edge. Lane scored twice; his tries in the 46th and 57th minutes were separated by Schuster’s second in the 51st minute.

Down 36-10 the Roos tried the unorthodox. Aupouri chip kicked from the outside of his right foot for Sharpe shooting forward centre-field. Sharpe regathered on the opposition 30m line, threaded his way through the defence, but could not deliver the money ball. Interchange forward, Brock Molan, stretched the Manly defence in the middle of the park, causing a hasty retreat. Sharpe took advantage from acting half, attacking the defensive line at pace, kicking for himself then regathering. Unfortunately for Wyong, Sharpe was again unable to completely unlock the well drilled Sea Eagle defence.

Manly Blacktown responded with a simple out and in play, executed at pace, which exploited the soft spot behind the Roos markers. The manoeuvre successfully released one of the Sea Eagles quick men, who beat the Wyong cover in a footrace to the tryline. The 40-10 lead was more than enough.

Shaq Mitchell took the field for Wyong and caused some damage by attracting defenders and offloading in traffic. Sharpe sniffed some space from a Mitchell offload and all but punctured the Manly defence, but again the Roos failed to combine to deliver the killer blow. Collins crossed from short range for his second. Aupouri’s conversion narrowed the final scoreline to 40-16.

Manly were well balanced and have a couple of match winners in Lane and five eighth, Cameron Cullen. Lussick directed play with authority from acting half, and his conversion kicks were flawless. The winners probably played within themselves, but did not produce anything special which the Roos would not ordinarily expect to manage. The Roos played like strangers rather than a team. The cohesion absent from this trial, will need to be in place by 4 March when Wyong faces Wests Tigers at Morry Breen in Round 1 of the competition proper.


  Report - Feb 11 ISP-NSW vs Illawarra Cutters , Result: 38 - 26 Win

The temperature gauge read 44° on top of the Illawarra Escarpment, but it was significantly cooler seaside at WIN Stadium. By the 5.45pm kick off the temperature on the playing surface was in the low 30’s and reasonably tolerable.

The Roos had first use of the ball, and produced the template for their get out sets, with Jake Lewis, Matt Ikuvalu, Nathan Clarke, Justin Toomey-White and Brock Molan gritting their teeth and making the hard yards. Dan Langbridge kicked with precision into the northwest corner. The Cutters’ response was equally composed. Right wing Isaac Thompson knocked the ball forward as he climbed above Kieren Gallagher to retrieve a last tackle bomb.

More strong running from Chris Centrone and Molan allowed Kauri Aupouri to kick on the last from good field position. Wyong were penalised for a hand on the ball in their next defensive set, and play restarted on halfway. Izzy Cooper-Tetevano stung his opposite with a well timed tackle. Fullback Luke Sharpe was called into action to field a grubber close to his posts, but knocked the ball forward under pressure from the chase team. Ilawarra scored in their next attacking set, shifting the ball right and creating space for Thompson to stroll over. Sailor missed the conversion. Cutters 6-0 after six minutes.

The Roos replied within minutes. Ikuvalu earned a penalty following another effective carry. Toomey-White offloaded and Molan stole metres. Clarke punched into the teeth of the defence. Toomey-White then found space between defenders off Dan Langbridge to crash over just left of the posts. Centrone converted. Wyong 6-4 after 10 minutes.

Demetriou touched down in the southeast corner, taking advantage of Wyong defenders being slow to regroup. Demetriou failed to convert his own try. Cutters 8-6 after 15 minutes.

Dan Langbridge kicked a 40/20 at the end of the next possession set, but the Roos were unable to exploit the field position. Cooper-Tetevano soon afterwards showed no concern for self-preservation, diving on a loose ball in traffic. Aupouri kicked late in the tackle count. Illawarra fumbled and the Roos halfback was quick to regather and scoot between the posts. Centrone converted. Roos 12-8 after 21 minutes.

Wyong then doubled down. Dan Langbridge drifted from right to left on the Cutters’ 10m line, tempting the home team defence to break form. The bait was taken and Langbridge slipped the ball to Ikuvalu spearing between defenders. Centrone converted, and at the end of the first 25 minute period the Roos were ahead 18-8.

Illawarra started the second 25 minute period with greater focus. Luke Sharpe bravely caught a high kick pushing forward from his own line. The Roos earned a penalty, but the reverse play from the tap by Cooper-Tetevano surprised Centrone, and the ball went to ground when there were metres on offer. Wyong were unable to defend the set. The home team capitalised on some hesitancy in the Roos defensive line, and courtesy of some sharp ball work, scored in the northwest corner. Demetriou again converted. Wyong 18-14 after 31 minutes.

Aupouri kicked high from the Cutters’ 40m line. Sailor knocked the ball forward. Dan Langbridge retrieved the ball, then fed it to Aupouri wrapping to his left. It was just a matter of catch and pass from there to create an overlap for Gallagher’s first try. Dan Langbridge missed the conversion. Wyong 22-14 after 37 minutes.

Gallagher scored his second in the 46th minute, again crossing in the southeast corner following a relatively simple passing movement down the short side. Langbridge failed to convert Wyong 26-14.

Illawarra scored when a kick ricocheted into space behind the Wyong line. Demetriou converted. By the end of the second period the visitors’ lead had been reduced to 26-20.

Shaq Mitchell crossed for the Roos from short range, carrying four defenders with him in the process. Sharpe converted. Wyong 32-20 after 54 minutes.

Chris Brown substituted for Gallagher. The Roos fed a scrum just short of halfway. Brown ran behind the scrum, received the ball and cracked the defensive line wide open. As Brown careened into the back field with Sailor in pursuit, he inexplicably lost control of the ball when the situation had distilled to a footrace between he and the Illawarra fullback.

The Cutters coughed up possession on their 20m line. Sharpe sliced between defenders from the ensuing scrum, crossing for a trademark try. Sharpe converted to extend the Roos lead to 38-20 after 68 minutes.

Sailor stepped and pushed his way past several attempted tackles to touch down close to the posts in the 70th minute. Demetriou converted. Final scoreline: Wyong Roos 38 – Illawarra Cutters 26.

Wyong adhered to their structures, and were too organised and fluent for the opposition. The coaching staff treated the match as a genuine trial. Seven of last season’s Under 19’s were given some game time, and took full advantage of the opportunity to strut their stuff in better company. Five of that group are still eligible for age football in the CCDRL competition. Lewis and Clarke laid a platform up front. Ikuvalu and Toomey-White were confident and effective. Cooper-Tetevano rattled a few with some well-timed and punishing defence. Aupouri was energetic with the ball and solid without it. Alex Langbridge worked hard from acting half, but it was his younger brother, Daniel, who was best on ground, directing traffic, kicking with accuracy and putting runners into space.

The Roos play Manly Blacktown Workers at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday 18 February. Kick off is at 4.20pm. The trial will be preceded by the Sydney Roosters NYC doing battle with their Manly counterparts at 2.30pm, and followed by the NRL trial between Sydney Roosters and the Sea Eagles at 6.30pm.

Visit the Evolution Security Website Visit the Northlakes Glass Website Visit the Star 104.5FM Website Visit the Austbrokers Central Coast Website

Powered by SportSites
Football Club Websites, Soccer Club Websites New